Topic: 39 Mercury Headlight Switch

39mercury    -- 08-27-2015 @ 11:41 AM
  Recently I had my 39 Mercury steering wheel restored. Last Saturday I installed it back in the car. When I removed the wheel and the Light Rod I was very careful to not bend the rod, and the same care was taken when it was re-installed. I have also replaced the under dash and Engine wire harness on the car. The old harness was original and needed replaced. I can hear the horn relay click when I push the horn button, however I do not have either park lights or headlights when I turn the switch to the left or right. The dimmer switch is hooked up, however I have not hooked up the tail light harness yet. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Thanks

TomO    -- 09-02-2015 @ 6:59 AM
  I have been hoping that someone that is more familiar with the 39 light switch would try to answer your question, but as no one has, here is my guess.

I think that you may not be turning the switch when you turn the knob. Remove the switch from the bottom of the column and make sure that it is in the off position and do the same for the knob at the steering wheel. reinstall the switch and make sure that it is fully seated.

If you still have the problem, turn on the lights and check for voltage at the center terminal of the dimmer switch. If you have voltage there, check both side terminals, one of them should have voltage on it and it should go to the junction by the headlights.

If you do not have voltage at the center terminal, check all of the connections by the light switch.

Tom

39mercury    -- 09-03-2015 @ 11:44 AM
  Thanks Tom. I was hoping you would reply because you always provide great advice on problem solving. I will try the steps you have listed and let you know what results I get. I think what you have described will get my lights working. I am working on getting the Mercury put back together. It has only been two years since I had it stripped and re-painted!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8909