Topic: Mallory Dual Point Dist ...mechanical advance

Tracker    -- 07-26-2015 @ 10:16 PM
  I want to add a Mallory Dual Point dist. to replace the original Ford vacuum advance distributor on my 8cm engine.I have given up trying to find parts to rebuild it.

Kind of pricey so I would appreciate the benefit of other Merc owners experience with this unit. Is there a significant performance improvement ? I want to eliminate the carb vacuum line & plug it off.

Thanks for your comments.

Tracker

TomO    -- 07-27-2015 @ 6:52 AM
  I doubt that you will get a significant performance improvement over a good working stock distributor. Any modifications from stock do hamper diagnosing problems.

What parts are you looking for?

Tom

Tracker    -- 07-27-2015 @ 8:01 AM
  I cannot locate the vacuum can nor the inside plate ...the plate has slack in it and the small springs are worn out

Thanks Tom

Tracker

Tracker    -- 07-27-2015 @ 8:09 AM
  The write up on the Mallory Dist states it significantly aids in the cooling process of the flathead engine.....can you explain how that works ...if it does ?

Thanks Tom

Tracker

carcrazy    -- 07-27-2015 @ 11:18 AM
  The distributor vacuum advance for your distributor is available from MAC's. The plate may be a little harder to find. Perhaps there is an interchange with another application. Your fuel economy should be better with a properly functioning vacuum advance than with a mechanical advance system.

Tracker    -- 07-27-2015 @ 5:27 PM
  Macs was the first place I looked on line but must have over looked it...will try again. Thanks for the lead.

I would much rather keep my engine all original but as parts keep getting harder to find I then start looking at alternatives. The Mallory looks neat but if there is no performance advantage for a stock engine would rather spend on my original dist if I can find parts.

Thanks again Carcrazy

Tracker

TomO    -- 07-28-2015 @ 6:39 AM
  Did you try Buba's Distributor service? He may have the parts to rebuild your distributor.

http://www.lindertech.com/bhrs/services.htm

Which distributor do you have for your 51 Merc? There were more than 1 P/N used.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-28-15 @ 6:46 AM

Tracker    -- 07-28-2015 @ 6:00 PM
  I do not see anything written on the distributor to identify which model it may be.

I was able to get the dist can from Macs but not the springs or plate. I would prefer to stay with my original distributor if possible to round up all the parts.

Thanks Tom.

Tracker

TomO    -- 07-29-2015 @ 7:00 AM
  The reason that I asked is that the 7RA prefix distributor seems to be available as a rebuilt, but the 0CM is not. The breaker plate and springs are the same for both.

If your plate has play in it, the shaft bushings may be worn. I would send the distributor to a rebuilder that you trust and have him replace all worn parts and set up the distributor to stock specifications.

Tom

Tracker    -- 08-01-2015 @ 9:22 AM
  A special thanks to Tom O and Car crazy for responding
to my request for help on my stock 8cm distributor.

Through a combination of Macs and C&G Ford, I was finally able to locate the rebuild parts I was lacking.

I passed on the Mallory idea..Flathead Jack advised not worth the money if not adding new carbs, etc on a stock engine. Also agreed with Tom that adding the road draft plug would indeed create sludge with extended use.

Thanks as always for the advice of this forum.

Tracker

Tracker    -- 08-01-2015 @ 9:26 AM
  I called the number listed on the website & twice was referred to some cell phone give away..then I read that one of the entities of this business had closed up shop. I found others in Hemmings that do this type of work.

Again, thanks for the response.

TomO    -- 08-03-2015 @ 7:25 AM
  I am sorry that you were not able to reach Bubba. He is still active on the Ford Barn and still refers to the website that I posted. It appears that he let his toll free number go and another company picked it up.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8799