Topic: 1939 radio......Need a little help

greginski    -- 06-05-2015 @ 9:01 AM
  I need a little help on where to begin. My 1939 fordor deluxe original(?)radio is giving me problems. It has worked, mostly, for the past 40 years that i have owned the car. Recently however it works on and off, more or less when it wants to. I have narrowed it down to a problem with the volume/on-off wheel. There seems to be no connection until you turn it on/off several times then light comes on, it fires up, then sometimes it doesn't. Otherwise the radio plays just fine. Someone told me a couple years ago it most likely is the "pot" switch and i need to spray something on it to clean it up and it should work just fine. Any thoughts where to get the spray, radio shack guy didn't have a clue, and the big question is once i get it, where do i spray it. thanks. greg

shoebox    -- 06-05-2015 @ 4:32 PM
  As far as WHAT to spray, I would use electric contact cleaner, available at any auto parts or hardware store...and most likely Radio Shack!

Shoebox

greginski    -- 06-05-2015 @ 8:25 PM
  well, messed with it most of the evening. sprayed some wd40 on the opening on the volume knob. little of this and that and got it working to about 80%. problem seems to be at the beginning of the on/off and low volume setting. so i've concluded it is no major radio problem and just the on/off volume control that i can live with and not spend $$$$ to fix the radio

thanks to shoebox and any others

greg

TomO    -- 06-06-2015 @ 7:29 AM
  WD-40 is not good for electronic controls. Radio Shack has a tuner Cleaner and Lube that works great.

You should remove the radio from the dash and open it up enough to spray the cleaner right on the control.

Tom

greginski    -- 06-06-2015 @ 8:37 AM
  here it is sat morn. went outside to see if the radio would work. turned it on and it warmed up and played in about 30 seconds, so i guess the problem is solved, at least for now. will visit a radio shack today and see if i can find a cleaner. thanks greg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8583