Topic: Radio Static/Ignition Interference

len47merc    -- 05-11-2015 @ 7:59 PM
  After a few original capacitor replacements got the Zenith Adjust-O-Matic AM radio working well again with full functionality (floor switch, bar, controls, etc.) in my '47 - except when the engine is under load and/or accelerating the radio picks up an onerous amount of engine-related interference. Appreciate your thoughts, experience and (hopefully simple) solutions for resolve. Am running an original style (non-suppressor) set of wires (brown insulation) from Carpenter, all 3 condensers (coil, voltage regulator and under-dash resistor locations) are the originals, generator has new brushes, bearings and armature (original field coils), original roof-mount antennae.

Btw - am keeping the interior as original as possible pending Rouge Class - Interior judging in Charlotte next month. I like supereal's & TomO's ideas of converting to solid state AM/FM and/or installing an MP3 port (maintaining the original appearance), respectively, but that's down the road on this car and will likely involve a yet-to-be-sourced back-up Adjust-O-Matic for cruising (versus judging).

Thanks in advance -

Steve

ford38v8    -- 05-11-2015 @ 10:29 PM
  Steve, all I can think of that you didn't mention is the condition of the antenna cable and braid shield, which I believe should be grounded.

Alan

TomO    -- 05-12-2015 @ 6:34 AM
  I agree with Alan, the shield and radio grounding is very important for good reception and noise control.

The shield is grounded at the antenna mounting and at the radio. Check your antenna mount to ensure that it is tight and that the internal tooth (star) washer is present. At the radio, make sure that all mounting bolts are secure and the the star washers are present. Clean the outside of the antenna lead connector and the inside of the the radio connection. Brass wool will remove heave corrosion, but you probably can just use tuner cleaner.

If those items do not correct your problem, you may need to have more capacitors replaced in your radio and have the ones that were replaced checked for proper value.

Tom

len47merc    -- 05-12-2015 @ 8:25 PM
  Alan & Tom - I'll check the cable and all grounding points as you have advised - gave it/them only a cursory look after removing the radio and before re-installation. Thanks -

Steve

Stroker    -- 05-14-2015 @ 9:33 AM
  I've had the same experience, sort of like an "audio tachometer".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8512