Topic: Question on 'no swedging req'd' style drums

len47merc    -- 03-27-2015 @ 5:43 PM
  Does anyone have any experience with the 'newer' drum/lug bolt style for at minimum '46-'48 Fords/Mercs with hubs inside the drums? The newer drums/lug bolts do not require swedging and the lug bolts simply position the drums, presumably with tapered &/or interference-fit shoulders, to hold drum position. This understandably allows for more efficient and quicker access to the brakes when necessary (i.e., no hub removal required). Question is whether these are effective in terms of consistent drum positioning and consequently no hula-hooping of the drums & pulsing of the brakes. If the positioning is not fully secured it can be speculated that the drums may be inconsistently oriented during install and consequently be falsely perceived to need turning/truing, after which a new position could result during re-install and the truing potentially no longer effective for the next orientation.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts and experiences in this regard. Thanks -

Steve

flathead48    -- 03-29-2015 @ 4:41 AM
  Len, I am going through this now on my 48, the shoulders on the studs seem to position the drum properly, I have rotated the drum to several position and still seem to fit right. I have tried a USA made one and off shore one with the same results. Have not driven the car yet but it seems like a good way to get at the brakes without messing with the bearings. Hope this helps. Regards Rick

len47merc    -- 03-29-2015 @ 5:19 AM
  Thanks Rick - good feedback. I have been concerned about how tight and consistent the new lug bolts would be in locating the new drum. Appreciate your letting us know how you make out it the end.

Btw - do you note any difference thus far (concentricity/roundness, finish, quality, etc.) between the US and foreign made drums? Any recommendations here appreciated as well. Thanks again -

Steve

flathead48    -- 03-29-2015 @ 6:43 AM
  Len, the USA one is a lot heavier, it is a little thicker where it goes against the hub and is abetter finish all around but I doubt the amount of driving on these cars it would make a big difference but I still would rather pay the extra $20.00 and get a USA one. Just my opinion . Regards, Rick

flathead48    -- 03-29-2015 @ 6:57 AM
  Len, I failed to mention the the USA drum is close to twice the weight of the original, not sure if this will have an effect on the bearings, and I did have both checked with a drum gage and both were out of round by 15 thousands. .

len47merc    -- 03-29-2015 @ 10:21 AM
  Thanks Rick - I'm with you on spending at few extra bucks on the US version.

Are you using both versions on your '46 or exchanging the off shore version for a US? And lastly, are you having them trued-up/turned to remove the 0.015" 'high spot(s)' before placing into service or are you installing them as is and seeing how it goes before deciding on a turning option?

Be very interested to know your results in the end as I'll be assisting a colleague with his '47 Ford soon and was thinking about taking your route.

Steve

flathead48    -- 03-29-2015 @ 1:23 PM
  Len, I decided to have them both turned, thought it would save the shoes and make for a smoother stop, I kept both but only using the USA one , hopefully I will have it on the road in another month or so and will advise the out come. Rick

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8357