Topic: '47 59AB Shutoff Post-Hard Stop

len47merc    -- 11-20-2014 @ 1:28 PM
  New motor, carb, etc. Couldn't ask for the car to run better - expected fuel mileage, pipe showing medium gray, no hesitation, good acceleration, smooth idle @ rpm spec, etc., etc.. Question is, why when (for example) a light catches me and I have a hard stop (versus the normal slow idle to a stop sign or light) does the motor die? Starts right back up and idles smooth. Never happens on normal coasts to stops. Any ideas? Fuel 'slinging' to the front of the bowl? Float adjustment? Other? Thanks -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 11-20-14 @ 1:36 PM

fla48    -- 11-20-2014 @ 6:52 PM
  I would check the float level. This can also happen in a hard fast turn if it is the float.

len47merc    -- 11-24-2014 @ 6:46 AM
  Problem solved. Idle specification, which is where the car was set at, is 400 rpm per Van Pelt spec sheet and personal library documentation (advice/correction appreciated if otherwise). Bumped the idle rpm up to 450 rpm and this very minor increase resolved the issue. The float level was checked fla48 and found to be on spec - thanks for weighing in.

Btw - the carb folks @ DC indicate they test all their new carbs on a '49 motor at 750-800 rpm, which is also where they set the the idle speed before shipping. Their technician in charge of carb testing and validation also recommended setting the idle speed, if adjustment is needed or preferred after installing their new carb, to 500 minimum. FYI for those of you considering one of their new carbs.

Steve

TomO    -- 11-24-2014 @ 10:15 AM
  Steve, my shop manual shows 475-500RPM for idle speed. I think that you will be happier with that adjustment. The pre-WWII engines had a heavier flywheel and would idle slower, but I have always set them to 450-500 RPM.

Tom

len47merc    -- 11-25-2014 @ 6:47 AM
  Thanks Tom - good info. I will adjust further up to the 475-500 range next trip out. Appreciate the reference data and experienced tip.

Steve

supereal    -- 11-25-2014 @ 11:51 AM
  Be sure that the wire between the firewall and the coil is intact. In a quick stop, there is forward movement of the engine which may pull apart a connector or a break inside the insulation. I once chased a problem like hat for days.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7934