Topic: Adjustment on Merc-O-Matic - more power

Merc Cruzer    -- 09-15-2014 @ 1:39 PM
  Last April, I had an issue regarding the Merc-O-Matic and its hard shifting going from 2nd to 3rd. The resolution was to lengthen the throttle linkage on the side of the transmission. As I proceeded to lengthen the linkage, the shift point from 2nd to 3rd became higher, the kick down engages with less throttle and the torque from 30 mph to 50 mph increased dramatically. It almost seems like the transmission was fighting the engine. Is it possible that the transmission was holding the engine back? After the adjsutment to the linkage, when the transmission has shifted from 2nd to 3rd and then when I allow the speed to drop down to 30 mph with it still in 3rd, there is allot more power and faster acceleration (low end torque) when accelerating from 30 mph to 50 mph+.

This message was edited by Merc Cruzer on 9-15-14 @ 4:45 PM

TomO    -- 09-16-2014 @ 6:52 AM
  Correct adjustment of the controls for the automatic transmissions are very important. Any maladjustment will result in poor performance as you have found out.

Tom

Merc Cruzer    -- 09-16-2014 @ 8:48 AM
  TomO,

Any insight as to just what the adjustment does? I am trying to understand what I am doing rather than just blindly adjusting the linkage until the issue resolves it's self. Even though there is something to be said for that too!

Thank you,

Roy

TomO    -- 09-17-2014 @ 7:46 AM
  Adjusting the Throttle Control Rod (TV rod), allows the transmission to shift when the transmission oil pressure and speed are at the optimal condition. If the TV rod is out of adjustment, the shift point will be incorrect and the control valve will not have the correct pressure to operate.

Here is a link to the FordOMatic transmission service manual. You can read it one page at a time of buy the CD.

http://cogpro.com/chapters/K-TwoSpeedFordomatic/index.htm

Tom

Merc Cruzer    -- 09-17-2014 @ 10:55 AM
  I have been working with this manual.

Thank you,

Roy

This message was edited by Merc Cruzer on 9-17-14 @ 10:56 AM

TomO    -- 09-21-2014 @ 9:19 AM
  There should be explanations on how the trans works in that book also.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-21-2014 @ 11:04 AM
  I spent a lot of time in the early 50's working on Ford-O-Matics. This required several special tools, such as the band tension adjuster. Trying to adjust with the "by guess, by gosh" usually results in more problems than originally faced.

Merc Cruzer    -- 09-22-2014 @ 8:43 AM
  The answer is, shorten the throttle linkage rod, by turning in adjuster “U” bracket on the top of the rod, down until the issue is resolved. This will take a few adjustments and test drives until you are successful. The rod is located on the driver’s side of the transmission and connects to the throttle linkage behind the oil filter housing.

This message was edited by Merc Cruzer on 9-22-14 @ 2:03 PM

Merc Cruzer    -- 09-22-2014 @ 12:25 PM
  Picture of linkage adjustment "U"

This message was edited by Merc Cruzer on 9-23-14 @ 6:35 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7735