Topic: Sping removal

oldguy    -- 08-12-2014 @ 6:18 PM
  Looking to replace the front and rear springs on the 40 Merc with new ones.
I need advise as to the safest way I should proceed without having the shackle ends / springs let go as I take them apart. Also, what should I watch for on the reinstall of springs and new shackle hardware.
Thxs
Oldguy

This message was edited by oldguy on 8-12-14 @ 6:19 PM

supereal    -- 08-12-2014 @ 8:40 PM
  Rent or borrow a Port-A-Power tool. This will make the job both safe, and allow adjusting the spring so the shackle bars slip on.

TomO    -- 08-13-2014 @ 6:33 AM
  The Porta-power will have to have 2 wedge ends.

Do not pound or press on the inner bolt on the shackles. I like to put them in the freezer overnight and install them cold, using a socket that only presses on the outer sh*ll.

Make sure that the center bolt of the new spring is seated in the recess in the frame, before tightening the U-Bolts.

If you do not get any more responses, post this question in General Ford section. It has been a long time since I did this job and others may have some better suggestions.

Tom

silverchief    -- 08-16-2014 @ 7:26 PM
  Tom,

Want to replace the rubber bushings at ends of shackles, and as thinking of attempting this job in my garage using suggestion from original service manual that if no spring spreader is available, place wood blocks under the ends of the spring, and lower car down until the shackles are relaxed. Seems a little dangerous to me, as I was planning driving pins out with a drift punch. What do you think?

silverchief    -- 08-16-2014 @ 7:28 PM
  Tom,

Want to replace the rubber bushings at ends of shackles, and as thinking of attempting this job in my garage using suggestion from original service manual that if no spring spreader is available, place wood blocks under the ends of the spring, and lower car down until the shackles are relaxed. Seems a little dangerous to me, as I was planning driving pins out with a drift punch. What do you think?

cliftford    -- 08-17-2014 @ 7:23 AM
  Hi Silverchief: I once tried to remove the rear shackles on a Model A this way and one flew off and hit me in the face and I almost lost an eye. My advice is: don't try to do it this way.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7605