Topic: '47 Radio - Switched or No

len47merc    -- 07-24-2014 @ 6:17 PM
  Have just brought a '47 Adjust-o-Matic Radio (mfg. date 12/46) back to life after changing out 8 total bad or leaking capacitors. Can anyone advise whether the radios were originally designed to be switchable with the ignition switch off or no? Have heard stories of folks back in the day killing their batteries with these power hog radios while listening to them from the back seat on lover's lane and the ignition switch off; however, upon receipt of the car this radio is connected, with factory terminals and the in-line fuse, to the 'cold' terminal of the ignition switch meaning the ignition switch has to be on for the radio to function. Obviously leaving the switch on could and likely would lead to a number of other problems including point failure, etc., and leaving the ignition switch on to listen to the radio intuitively seems incorrect. Without a modern-day 'ACC' ignition switch setting it appears this radio was designed to be listened to only while driving. The car came with the original operating and installation manual for the radio and the schematic supports it is properly connected and intended only to be operated while the car is running but I am being advised by locals it should be 'hot' (i.e., able to be switched on with the ignition switch off).

Appreciate any and all advice here.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-24-14 @ 6:54 PM

len47merc    -- 07-24-2014 @ 6:34 PM
  Forgot to include a pic of the radio in the previous post for ID purposes if needed.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-24-14 @ 6:55 PM

TomO    -- 07-25-2014 @ 6:46 AM
  Steve,

The original installation was per the installation instructions. We did change a lot of them to the hot connection so the radio could be used with the ignition off.

Unless you are planning on going to "Lovers Lane" with your sweetheart to listen to the stuff that passes for radio music today, I would wire it per the instructions.

As an aside, I had an MP3 port installed in my radio, so I could listen to the music that was popular when the cars were new.

Tom

len47merc    -- 07-25-2014 @ 8:35 AM
  Thanks Tom -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-26-14 @ 3:59 AM

supereal    -- 08-10-2014 @ 1:16 PM
  I had the original radio in my '47 converted to a solid state AM/FM receiver years ago. It still looks original, but the current draw is a fraction of the old set, and iI have it connected to an unswitched source of power. The FM part lets me enjoy music that is free of spark noise, etc. No more "lover's lane" after 59 years of marriage (one wife), and no more AM blather, either, just music we both enjoy!

len47merc    -- 08-11-2014 @ 4:58 AM
  Thanks supereal. I located a retired electrical engineer in AZ who is a fellow vintage car owner that has restored these radios for years as a hobby. He went through the radio, replacing 8 capacitors plus the vibrator and brought full functionality back to the original standards (@ a very reasonable cost btw). Some serious thought was given to converting as you and TomO noted though in the end the decision was made to keep it fully original in both look and functionality.

For the original Sinatra, Mercer, Crosby, Como, Martin, big-band, etc., music from '45-'47 we are considering a quality and very compact, portable, rechargeable mp3 player with 2 wireless portable stereo speakers, the latter which will be placed in the rear-window deck out of sight of the rear oval and rear vent windows.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7541