Topic: 41 Mercury parts

chief61    -- 04-18-2014 @ 10:39 AM
  Hello everyone.
I just bought a 41 mercury Coupe. I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get body parts? what I need first is weather stripping for the air vent on the cowling & I really would like to find some side view mirrors driver & passenger side

TomO    -- 04-19-2014 @ 7:37 AM
  Congratulations on your new purchase. The 41 Mercury came in two different Coupe models with 3 configurations. The one with a full back seat was called the Sedan Coupe. The other 2 configurations were called Coupe. One of the Coupe configurations has 2 small auxiliary seats in the back and the other one had a package shelf and the front seat raised up to allow access to storage.

There are many parts that are only 41 Mercury, so I suggest that you buy a reprint of the 38-41 Chassis Parts catalog, join the Early Ford V-8 Club of America and buy the 41-48 Ford book. The Ford and Mercury use most of the same mechanical parts, the body is the same from the cowl back, but longer on the Mercury from the cowl forward.

C&G Ford Parts is the vendor used by many of us for reproduction parts. They handle the better reproductions and their service is good. For Mercury specific parts, you may have to resort to Classified ads on this site and on the Ford Barn. E-Bay is another resource and the big swap meets are fun to attend, and you might luck out.

There are many good vendors listed on the home page of this site under the VENDOR tab.

Bob Drake's cowl vent seal is probably the best.

There are no reproductions of the side view mirrors for the 39 - 41 Mercury cowl mount mirror. The cowl mount was the only one Ford offered. The passenger side cowl mount mirrors are not visible from the driver's seat.

Tom

chief61    -- 04-19-2014 @ 1:38 PM
  Thanks Tom great info. I appreciate it
Bill

tbirdhandyman    -- 01-25-2015 @ 11:47 AM
  Hello Chief61, I have good news for you on the cowl mirrors for your '41 Mercury! C&G part #'s 21A-18402-R & 21A-18403-L as shown on page 220 of their catalog. They list these mirrors for '47 -'48 Mercuries, but the shape of the front and rear base is exactly like the '41, not like the later cars. The base is 0.155" of an inch wider than the '41 trim, but you cannot see the difference when installed on the car. I have them on my '41 convertible and a friends '41 fordor. You can see a photo of my car in the classified "for sale" section of the forum. Below is a close-up photo. If you talk to C&G, make sure the base is still like the ones I got back in 2012. Robert E.

Tbirdhandyman

TomO    -- 01-26-2015 @ 6:24 AM
  Robert,

Your 41 convertible looks awesome. Cotswold Gray is one of my favorite Mercury colors. Good luck in selling it.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 01-26-2015 @ 11:19 AM
  Chief, you may want to rethink the passenger side cowl mirror, it's almost impossible for you to see it from the drivers seat. Looks nice but just about useless.

42oink    -- 04-07-2015 @ 4:25 PM
  Hi Chief, Sounds like you have the mirror situation under control! I don't know if there were some other particular items that you might need, but with the rarity of the 41 and differences, you should get whatever spare parts you can when you can. I have a few parts available over in the classified parts section that I saved from a street-rodded car. Take a look and good luck with the Merc. 42oink.

sq1954    -- 02-27-2017 @ 7:26 AM
  All your body weatherstripping is the same as 41 Ford. Dennis Carpenter makes all the rubber parts for the 41 Fords and any that are special to 41 Merc. On you mirrors the 42-48 Ford ones will fit but the shape is a little different. The mirrors for the 41 Merc are 41 Merc only. They are extremly rare. Years ago someone on the east coast was reproducing them but pasted away a number of years ago.

ken ct.    -- 02-27-2017 @ 8:56 AM
  Guard those parking lites with your life. They are very early 41 Merc. only ,later 41's used the ford parking lites. They are impossible to find. I have a 41 Merc glove box lock which attaches to the dashboard not the door itself. (NOS) with keys. if you need. great looking car and love the color. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7240