Topic: Front brake dragging,

Marilyn    -- 01-25-2012 @ 4:02 PM
  The brake shoes will not release fully on the right front side. What is the problem?

Stenny    -- 01-25-2012 @ 4:50 PM
  This is usually caused by a wheel cylinder piston sticking in the bore. Try backing off on the adjuster and tapping the drum and wheel cylinder lightly to get it to retract. If the cylinder is the culprit, I would rebuilt the entire hydraulic system and replace the brake shoe hardware including springs.

TomO    -- 01-26-2012 @ 7:02 AM
  Try opening the bleeder screw. If the shoes free up, the problem is most likely the flexible hose. If they do not free up, remove the drum and check the wheel cylinder, springs and shoes.

Your Mercury looks great.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-26-12 @ 7:03 AM

supereal    -- 01-27-2012 @ 10:20 AM
  The aluminum pistons in the wheel cylinders have a bad habit of corroding in the presence of moisture, then sticking in the bore. If you find this to be your problem, plan to replace the entire wheel cylinder, and perhaps all of them, as the interior bores will almost always be badly pitted. Replacing DOT 3 (non silicone) fluid every couple of years will avoid your problem, as old fluid attracts moisture, and many cars have gone years without a change.

Marilyn    -- 02-02-2012 @ 2:52 PM
  Thanks for the response.I tapped the shoes and cylinder and it seems to have released the shoes. I will rebuild the cylinders and replace the springs.The Merc. won first place touring award at the Eastern National at Saratoga,NY last year.We had a great time and we met some wonderful people at show.

TomO    -- 02-03-2012 @ 9:01 AM
  You will be much better off replacing the wheel cylinders as the corrosion has already caused problems. The cost of new wheel cylinders is far less than the cost of a grille or repairing body work.

Rock Auto has them for $4 -$10 and Napa has them for $9 - $14 each. The kits are $4 at Napa.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=4264