Topic: 48 Mercury wood grain shade

flathead48    -- 11-14-2011 @ 3:29 PM
  Was wondering if anyone knows the proper wood grain shade for 48 dash. Thanks

TomO    -- 11-15-2011 @ 3:22 PM
  Contact Rusty Davis, the 48 Mercury Adviser for the V-8 Club.

Tom

flathead48    -- 11-16-2011 @ 8:34 AM
  Thanks Tom, I did about 6 weeks ago and did not receive a response so I thought I would try the forum, thinging someone must have a 48 Merc wagon or convertible. Thanks again

jal9846    -- 12-31-2011 @ 4:51 PM
  The correct wood grain shade is a medium-light maple with Sapele wood grain pattern. Grain-it has the exact match base color and grain pattern kit. They can mix the base coat for you in U-Pol and put it in a spray can. It works best for applying the ink pattern over, since it is a dull-satin finish as was factory. I used the Grain-it kit on my 48 convertible with excellent results.
http://woodgraining.com/

flathead48    -- 01-01-2012 @ 2:46 PM
  Thanks for the info, HAPPY NEW YEAR

supereal    -- 01-02-2012 @ 9:05 AM
  One of the enduring mysteries of Ford culture is how the intricate and realistic wood graining was applied to the dashboard. I've attached a photo from Lorin Sorensen's wonderful book "Famous Ford V-8S" that shows a photo of the process. It should be obvious that no kits can contain the huge roller that did the job. The photo also shows one of the oddities of the age, a workman wearing a tie in the factory! My grandkids thought the picture showed Abbott and Costello!

Jdee    -- 01-02-2012 @ 11:04 AM
  No need for rollers that big, but they do make for nice photos. We have rollers that big and never use them.
Jdee

supereal    -- 01-02-2012 @ 1:59 PM
  When I did the dash and window garnish on my '47 convertible, I used a method I learned in my Model A days. It involves using bristle brushes trimmed into ragged lengths. I applied the light base coat and followed with darker grain. I then sealed it with urethane varnish. After lots of false starts, I finally got the hang of it. I have had people ask if the dash is actually wood! If anyone wants a copy of the article I used, I'll post it.

fomocoloco    -- 01-02-2012 @ 3:11 PM
  id like to see that article on woodgraining. my foreman at the rouge wore the same tie every day. he chewed,and his tie had tobacco spit all over it.

weezer

supereal    -- 01-03-2012 @ 9:31 AM
  OK. I'll post three pages, which will require separate posts on this Forum. It came from one of my Model A books, and proved to be successful, after many tries.

This message was edited by supereal on 1-3-12 @ 1:19 PM

supereal    -- 01-03-2012 @ 9:32 AM
  Here is page two.

supereal    -- 01-03-2012 @ 9:34 AM
  And the final page. I tried to use the light over dark method, but a light base with dark graining produced the best results for me. Good luck!

Rusty    -- 01-03-2012 @ 7:15 PM
  The Mercury color is mahogany. It is darker than the Ford maple and uses a different base coat. The original process was with rollers. A flat metal plate was etched to replicate the wood grain. Ink was spread on the plate and the roller run across it lifting the ink in the pattern of the grain. The roller was large enough that one revolution was all that was reguirrd to lay the inked grain on the base coated interior parts. After it dried it was sprayed with clear lacquer to protect the ink and maintain the faux wood effect.

Rusty    -- 01-03-2012 @ 8:39 PM
  Here is an example, compliments of Bill Large, of what the color and shade is supposed to be.

jal9846    -- 01-03-2012 @ 10:35 PM
  Here is a close-up picture of my 48 convertible in finished condition. This should give you a good indication of the color of the base as well as finished shade, as Rusty showed in the previous post. Notice that the inside of the gloveox door is not grained. In fact, the hem edge on the inside of the door would not have been grained either. Ford simply grained the outside areas not covered by trim, and enough of the opening on the actual dash panel to not see raw base color through the seam with the glovebox door closed.

flathead48    -- 01-07-2012 @ 5:44 AM
  I want to thank everyone who took the time to help me with this. Happy and Healthy 2012 to everyone. Rick

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=3974