Topic: Auto antenna

silverchief    -- 07-12-2016 @ 8:17 AM
  I have a 1973 Mark 4 with electric antenna, which is now refusing to go down. I can push it down with my hand. Also, it goes up with no problem, so it is obviously getting power. I would appreciate input from those who have encountered this problem. I see repo units for $150.00 but am really leery of what might be Chinese junk. Welcome all suggestions.

nelsb01    -- 07-13-2016 @ 4:18 AM
  While the year of your Lincoln exceeds the years of this organization, I can relate to your problem with a 1985 Thunderbird that I own.
I would suggest you have your Ford dealer check the obsolete parts site that Ford has. I had to pay $180 for the Ford antenna and then after looking at how to replace it, had the Ford dealer body shop install it. The bad one, once it was removed by the body shop was not repairable due to the only way to remove it without damaging it was to remove the front fender, and that was not the 'fast' way to do it.
The plastic gears wear out over time and that is the reason for the antenna's failure.
Hope this helps.

silverchief    -- 07-13-2016 @ 2:30 PM
  Thanks nelobs1 - your information is very helpful.

56MarkII    -- 07-31-2017 @ 11:09 AM
  You can probably find a good used slightly newer or older electric power antenna that will work and that was suggested to me for my 56 Continental Mark II which has a brutally expensive and hard to find vacuum power antenna. My cylinder was bent from a Hack in a body shop doing sloppy work before I bought the Car so I had to rebuild mine. I used an exact diameter beveled driver and worked the dent out. That is repaired but the ball on the end of the mast is missing and the thicker older masts are extinct. $500++ to get these units rebuilt if you can find somebody to do it!! Replacement masts are the biggest problem and if anybody has a source it is kept secret.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=15&Topic=9869