Topic: Car value

silverchief    -- 08-30-2014 @ 11:48 AM
  I am looking at a 51 Cosmopolitan 4 door sedan in #1 condition.

Does anyone have access to a current book or research material who can tell me what is generally considered a reasonable price for this car in today's market?

Thank you.

cliftford    -- 08-30-2014 @ 1:08 PM
  Get a copy of Old Cars price guide. You can subscribe on line or pick one up at a news stand. It would be a good start.

ford38v8    -- 08-30-2014 @ 3:10 PM
  I agree, but in comparing those book values to your #1, remember to downgrade your example at least to a #2, as there is no such thing as a #1 condition car that old.

Alan

silverchief    -- 08-30-2014 @ 4:14 PM
  Thanks guys. I will try Barnes and Nobel.

supereal    -- 08-31-2014 @ 4:08 PM
  As usual, I certainly agree with my old friend, Alan. The "red flag" here is that the seller apparently claims it is in "#1 condition". The common definition is that the car "is restored to maximum professional standards in every area", and not driven. In other words, in museum condition. Price guides are only valuable in seeing the "ballpark" price. The Old Cars guide shows that car, in #1 condition, as $26,000. Dropping to #2, a fine well restored example, $18,000. The more common examples range in price from $11,700 down to $5,200 or less. At present, the market for all cars is weak, particularly for big boats like Lincolns. The only "reasonable" price is that between a willing seller and buyer. At our shop, we see too many buyers who were fleeced, and didn't even bother to have the vehicle inspected by a trusted mechanic before handing over the cash. Complicated cars such as Lincolns can be very expensive to repair, which bears on the value.

TomO    -- 09-02-2014 @ 7:43 AM
  Try the public library before you buy the book. Most of them have copies in the reference section.

I agree with the previous comments. A number one car is a Pebble Beach contender. Read the description on Haggerty's site.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=391269

If you intend to drive the car, I would not buy a No1 car. It will loose about half of its value, once the tires get dirty.

If the car is a true no.2 car, make sure that it does drive like a new car and there is nothing to fix. You should have it inspected by someone who is familiar with the 49-51 Lincolns check it out. Especially if it has the Hydramatic. It can cost as much as $4,000 to rebuild one. Mechanical parts for these cars are not easy to find and they are harder to repair than the same year Ford or Mercury.

If the car is in good condition, they are a pleasure to drive, with good horsepower and comfortable seats. My 53 ran and drove nice when I did a test drive, but I have spent quite a few hours getting it to perform like new and new problems show themselves the more that I drive it. Unique Lincoln parts are hard to find and the price is high when you find them.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=15&Topic=7681