Topic: Cigarette lighter:

fortyford    -- 06-04-2016 @ 2:36 PM
  Well,I decided to fix the broke cigarette lighter in my 40.I got a new 6 volt well and assembly.There was an empty female plug under the dash at the lighter area that I used?I was just guessing this was for the lighter?I also ran a ground wire to the well assembly.The lighter works good but I realized there is voltage on the power wire all the time?This scares me because of a fire hazard.Did the stock wiring harness have a plug for lighters?I think I need to run a new wire that just works when the switch is on!Any comments on 40 lighter set-ups?

ford38v8    -- 06-04-2016 @ 3:21 PM
  The wire is always hot. If you power it from your ignition switch, it will kill your engine when you use it, and maybe burn your switch.
And Ford never put cigarette lighters in his cars. Cigar lighters, he called them.

Alan

By the way, if you have a radio, your lighter may not fit. The original lighter for '40 was short & stubby for that reason, and impossible to find today.

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 6-4-16 @ 3:24 PM

fortyford    -- 06-04-2016 @ 4:09 PM
  Thanks Alan,I read some bad reviews on another site about lighters!I think I will just leave it unplugged for now!I don't need my dash fryed when I can have a bic lighter in the glove box!Heck,I am not even a habit smoker,just like a cigar ever once in a while!!

Pair of 40's    -- 08-24-2016 @ 10:48 AM
  I was lucky enough to find a lighter a few years ago and left it unwired. I did not see a dedicated wire for it in the harness. It looks good and that's enough!

kubes40    -- 08-24-2016 @ 11:50 AM
  In all of my experience I have had but two 1940 Fords start on fire. Both started at the lighter. My advice is to NOT connect the lighter. When restoring a '40, I place a "dead spot" within the wore so it appears as if all is "okay" when in reality no power can get to the receptacle.

Mike Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=9748