Topic: 1940 Engine colors

alsmith39    -- 11-29-2015 @ 9:37 AM
  I have rebuilt tlhe engine from my vehicle and now I am going to paint it. I know the block is Ford Green but I think that the oil pan is sort of a satin black. I do not believe that the intake is painte nor are the water pumps. Am I correct?

ford38v8    -- 11-29-2015 @ 10:22 AM
  Oil pan semi gloss black, as is the starter motor except for the end plate which is unpainted. Also unpainted is the starter front and mating surface, as this surface serves as the ground for the starter. Transmissions engine color, clutch shafts unpainted, control arms black. Water pumps and pulleys are engine color, with the shafts left unpainted. Crank tip unpainted. Cast iron intake is engine color, if aluminum it is unpainted. Exhaust manifolds are unpainted, but quickly show surface rust, so dealers would often lightly spray them aluminum paint when prepping for showroom display. Carburetor, fuel pump, oil pressure sender, vacuum lines, and distributor unpainted, generator, fan, air cleaner, and fuel pump stand semi gloss black. If so equipped, the oil filter is black. It should be remembered that natural and black painted items would have been assembled onto the painted engine, so no paint run-over or masking off of items would happen with possible exception of exhaust manifolds. With a bow to Mike, I think I've got it covered.

Alan

alsmith39    -- 11-29-2015 @ 11:32 AM
  Thanks for the information.

kubes40    -- 11-29-2015 @ 1:39 PM
  Alan,
I agree with you for the most part and appreciate your thorough reply.
Semi gloss black? I respectfully disagree with you on that note. Although it is impossible to duplicate what Ford did back then through records of paint specifications, it surely appears from factory photographs taken of the assembly line that black parts were actually quite glossy.
No aluminum valve chamber covers in '40 so that is a non-issue.
I would like to add that NO paint should be present on any milled surface of the engine block.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 11-29-2015 @ 4:53 PM
  Mike, I thought it was you that said there were "some" ? aluminum intakes in '40? On the semi gloss, pretty hard to nail it down, especially when you must remember that some parts were as received from suppliers. Good call on the milled surfaces, which also means clean non painted gaskets visible. ...And no teflon tape on any fittings!

Alan

TomO    -- 11-30-2015 @ 6:42 AM
  It is not correct, but I used a flat clear coat on the machined surfaces to keep the rust from forming. It is hard to detect on an assembled engine.

Tom

kubes40    -- 11-30-2015 @ 12:35 PM
  Hey Alan,
1939 utilized both aluminum and cast iron valve chamber covers - mixed throughout production. By 1940, cast iron only.
Like TomO, I use a matte clear to coat all exposed / bare metal surfaces. It holds back the corrosion for a while...

kenburke    -- 12-09-2015 @ 1:20 PM
  Great info. Did I miss the dip stick?

kubes40    -- 12-09-2015 @ 5:40 PM
  Hey Ken, Dip stick was left in its raw finish. In other words "plain steel". There should be a dense wool washer just below the ring.

TomO    -- 12-11-2015 @ 8:50 AM
  Clear coat the dipstick handle also.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 12-11-15 @ 8:51 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=9175