Topic: 40 Ford Hot water heater

ronnie    -- 08-01-2015 @ 1:06 PM
  which motor wires do you use to check if motor works. All the wires are the same color even inside of motor. the wires look to be original. I don't have a switch,does a full 6volts go to heater motor or does the switch drop the voltage Thanks a lot for the help

Ronnie

ken ct.    -- 08-01-2015 @ 11:48 PM
  You need a 4 terminal switch to make this work right. Not a 2 T one. ken ct. Correct original switches are hard to find and expensive.

ronnie    -- 08-02-2015 @ 3:11 AM
  thanks For the information Ken ct,I was hoping there was a way just to check motor by hooking the wires to a 6v. Battery. I did't want to damage motor. I guess I should try and find a switch.
Thanks again
Ronnie

cliftford    -- 08-02-2015 @ 7:01 AM
  On the ford V8 techno scource there is a post entitled "39-41 heater wiring" that might help you.

ronnie    -- 08-03-2015 @ 2:00 AM
  thanks Cliftford,Ifound the wiring diagram but have not found the post you were referring to

thanks
Ronnie

TomO    -- 08-03-2015 @ 7:38 AM
  Ronnie, try this.

There are 4 wires coming from the motor. The yellow and the green wires come from the field windings and the red and brown wires come from the brushes. If your colors have faded so they all look yellow, I use an ohm meter to make an initial guess as to which wires are from the brushes and which wires are from the field and then I use a battery hooked up to a switch to determine which of the wires used for forward and reverse direction of the motor.

Usually you can see a little of the green cast on the green wire and the red color on the red wire. If you connect your ohm meter between the green wire and the yellow wire, you will have near zero ohms resistance. Any other wire will show an open condition. The reading will not vary when you rotate the motor shaft. When you connect the red and brown wires, you will have more resistance than the field connections showed and it will vary slightly as you turn the motor.

To check the motor out without a switch, connect the green wire to the POS terminal of a 6 volt battery ( a lantern battery will work for convenience), then connect the yellow (field) wire with the red (brush) wire together and then the remaining brown (brush) wire to the Neg terminal of the battery the motor should run. If you are using a lantern battery, the motor may require some assistance to start.

Three of the wires from the motor will be attached to the switch according to the colored dots next to the terminals on the switch, the green wire will be attached to ground and the terminal with the black dot will be attached to a 6 volt source. The red and brown wires control the direction of the motor. When the switch is in the HI Direct position the fan should be blowing air through the heater core. On 1940 heaters this means that the motor is turning counter clockwise

Tom

ronnie    -- 08-03-2015 @ 1:49 PM
  thanks TomO,

that's the information I needed. I will try it out and post the results

Thanks again guys
ronnie

ronnie    -- 08-03-2015 @ 1:49 PM
  thanks TomO,

that's the information I needed. I will try it out and post the results

Thanks again guys
ronnie

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum