Topic: Rear Shock & Anti-Sway Kit

Stanley    -- 05-05-2015 @ 7:58 PM
  Has anyone purchased and installed the Rear Shock & Anti-Sway kit from Drake on a 1940 Ford Convertible? I have installed the lower shock mount and trying to locate the upper shock mount hole. This hole cannot be drilled where the direction show. If anyone has installed this kit please let me know. Much appreciated,

TomO    -- 05-06-2015 @ 6:41 AM
  Call Drake, they sold you the item and should stand behind it.

Tom

SUPERTOOL    -- 05-08-2015 @ 8:23 AM
  I purchased the kit and have not been able to drill the upper shock mount hole as there is just not room for the drill motor and a jobber length bit.It goes on the front facing face of the rear crossmember which was at first unclear but I was able to mark it and drill a 1/8 pilot hole but now I am stymied and looking for a solution as well.
I got it done using your suggestions. Thanks.

This message was edited by SUPERTOOL on 6-12-15 @ 2:37 PM

42merc    -- 05-08-2015 @ 8:57 AM
  I drilled mine using a 3/8" right angle drill motor with a short turned down bit.
A 1/4" pilot hole helps.
Not a big deal.
Drake's sway bar kit is the best single improvement for a driver type '40.

CharlieStephens    -- 05-08-2015 @ 4:29 PM
  QUOTE: I purchased the kit and have not been able to drill the upper shock mount hole as there is just not room for the drill motor and a jobber length bit.It goes on the front facing face of the rear crossmember which was at first unclear but I was able to mark it and drill a 1/8 pilot hole but now I am stymied and looking for a solution as well.

REPLY: Any chance you could rent a right angle drill from the local tool rental place? Expensive, but cheaper than buying one.

Charlie Stephens

Stanley    -- 05-09-2015 @ 8:32 AM
  My instructions for the upper shock hole is 4" in from the side rail.This 4" places the shock directly in the center of the tail pipe. I spoke to Drake and asked if this 4" is correct. Drake confirmed the 4" and told me that my tail pipe is in the wrong location. Could this convertible have a different tail pipe location?

42merc    -- 05-09-2015 @ 10:43 AM
  The tailpipe or tailpipes will need to be reworked to clear the shocks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8483