Topic: lower door seal and scuff plate

donnicoli    -- 03-03-2015 @ 11:30 AM
  Mike,
could you give some instruction on installing the lower door seal and scuff plate?
The metal and rubber seem to be longer than needed?
how much metal is forward and how much to the rear?
does the tapered end go to the front?
does the metal align with the outer edge of the floor?
do you cut a notch in the seal for the windlace?
is the seal cut flush to the jamb?
????
photo would really help?
Thanks,
Don

kubes40    -- 03-03-2015 @ 4:02 PM
  Don,
The reproduction sill plates are decent, not great, but decent.
The biggest issue you will come upon is the rubber is too stiff when new and will not lay correctly when initially installed. When I am starting a restoration, I purchase the sill plates and bind the rubber over to simulate the "installed position". That way, when needed, the rubber has formed a "memory" of sorts and lays correctly once installed.

You will need to trim the excess rubber (length) from each end. I do this carefully for a very nice fit.

The windlace terminates at the floor. When installing the windlace, the core is cut so that it "just" touches the floor. The excess "flap" of material is then glued to the floor pan.
The finished end of the sill plate goes forward.
As for fitting them: There are slots in the sill plate that allow for a bit of adjustment in / out. Obviously you want the seal to come in contact with the door but not so much as to cause an issue when attempting to close the door.
I apologize in that I do not have any detailed photos archived to provide you.
Kind regards,
Mike KUbarth

donnicoli    -- 03-03-2015 @ 5:36 PM
  Thanks Mike,
Since the metal is longer than the opening, do you center it front to back?

kubes40    -- 03-04-2015 @ 5:26 AM
  Quote: Since the metal is longer than the opening, do you center it front to back?

Pretty much, yes.

If you have authentic floor pans, the holes should be there to align the sill plates. If not (no holes), then once again, yes, pretty much center them.

donnicoli    -- 03-04-2015 @ 10:44 AM
  Thanks for sharing the knowledge

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8274