Topic: mouse proofing

three v 8 s    -- 10-28-2014 @ 6:18 PM
  I.m new here, what are some methods to keep mice out of my cars? Heard peppermint oil works?Dryer sheets don't. Any proven methods?

ford38v8    -- 10-28-2014 @ 7:10 PM
  Plug in a few ultras sound generators in the ourtlets of your garage. You can't hear them, but the mice stay away in droves.

Alan

TomO    -- 10-29-2014 @ 7:26 AM
  The best thing is to keep the rodents from entering your garage. If you have outside storage, it is almost impossible to keep the rodents away.

I place a few small open bottles of ammonia in my garage. Animals do not like the smell of it. You can insert a rag to act as a wick to make the odor stronger.

Moth balls also work. Spread them around the garage and inside the car. Air out the car in Spring and the odor will disappear.

Do not put rodent poison in your garage, it attracts the rodents, and they do their damage before they die.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 10-29-2014 @ 1:20 PM
  Small Cedar wood blocks or chips in cloth bags also keep the rodents out and provide a less offensive odor to humans than moth balls.

three v 8 s    -- 10-29-2014 @ 7:04 PM
  Thanks, I have used the electric repellers in the past.I had a 53 f-100, I would let an extention cord hang down from the steering wheel with the device attached.I don't think it worked very well.On a trip to Chicago on the expressway in July ,one hour thirty min.drive one way. wearing sandals I looked down and found a mouse by the gas pedal, I pulled on to the shoulder.MY wife wondering whats wrong.I grabbed a rag I had and tossed the mouse out.My wifes feet never touched the floor the rest of the trip.During the night drive home I would bang my left foot on the floor board to discourage my quests from making another apperance. They say where theres 1 theres always a second.I keep my 41 pickup in the barn. I have no garage.I'll try ammonia.

TomO    -- 10-30-2014 @ 7:14 AM
  I would not put ammonia inside a vehicle. The fumes are noxious when concentrated in a small space. In a large garage, they are not strong enough to cause a problem.

You can place the open bottles around the outside of the vehicle for limited protection and then use something less noxious inside the vehicle.

A good mouse hunting cat is another deterrent.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 10-30-2014 @ 7:35 AM
  There is a company called Gardeners Supply Co., 1-800-427-3363, that has a natural mouse deterrent. It is also based on a mixture of peppermint and spearmint oils. I have been told that it really works.

three v 8 s    -- 10-30-2014 @ 5:21 PM
  Gardners supply sounds like a winner. You guys are awesome thanks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7865