Topic: Aluminum Flywheel?

Kenneth M.    -- 07-20-2014 @ 3:36 AM
  I am getting ready to try to install a new clutch,flywheel, clutch plate and throw out bearing also pilot bearing. to stop clutch chatter. The flywheel I have is a new aluminum and I have a 10 inch pressure plate. Any of you ever use a aluminum flywheel.I have never ever use one. This is in a 40 Ford.I want to have every part I need so when I start that I complete the job. I hate some sitting waiting for parts. What the advantage and disadvantage using the aluminum flywheel.This 40 Ford does not get drove much but some. Its not a daily driver.

Kenneth M. Stewart

40 Coupe    -- 07-20-2014 @ 4:03 AM
  Although I have not tried the light weight aluminum fly wheel I am told they are not good for a driver car. The original fly wheel or an original with the recess machined off is the way to go. Suggest you talk to Charlie Schwendler, N.Y.

Stroker    -- 07-20-2014 @ 7:28 AM
  Aluminum flywheel will make the throttle response very quick, may affect idle quality and unless faced with a steel insert will have a short life. They were developed for racing applications to reduce rotating mass. Unless you are building a retro street/strip hot rod, they should be avoided.

TomO    -- 07-21-2014 @ 9:22 AM
  In addition to the short life of am aluminum flywheel, the should only be used on an engine that has been balanced dynamically. The engine will vibrate and eventually destroy itself.

Get a flywheel for a 10" clutch or use the original with a 9" clutch. I prefer the 9" for a stock engine.

In addition to the parts that you have, I would get the clutch release cross shaft an bushings. Wear in the shaft and bushings can cause chatter.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-21-14 @ 9:25 AM

deuce_roadster    -- 07-29-2014 @ 4:31 PM
  Ken, my experience with aluminum flywheels has only been on light cars like roadsters, not a heavy one like a 40. I would use a steel one for a 10". By the way, do you know that you have to remove the pan to change the flywheel? If the engine is in the car this could be an unpleasant issue.
Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly.

Stroker    -- 07-30-2014 @ 6:04 PM
  I used a "chopped" flywheel in my 32 pickup in the late 50's. This was a 3/8ths by 3/8ths modified motor w/3 97's and a track cam in a very light chassis. I avoided the aluminum flywheel because of longevity issues, but enjoyed the instant throttle response of the lightened stock flywheel. I would concur with the others posting that a lightened flywheel does not contribute to driveability in anything but what we (in the 50's) called a "Hot Rod". From your original post, it doesn't sound like you are striving for this kind of issue. My dad once said that my truck was like a WWI airplane; "You don't need a throttle, just a kill switch to control the speed". In retrospect, I believe he was right.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7523