Topic: '40 frt spring

avrotom    -- 05-13-2014 @ 9:01 PM
  I am at the spring stage on my "restoraion". The front spring still had the Pt. No. stencilled on the bottom of the cover-01A-5310-F and according to the Canadian edition of the "green book" (its not green) this spring is made up of a 12 leaf, 01A-5310-E with 01A-5307-C cover and an 11A-5309-B Canvas. We have a metal(tin) shop that can do a new cover from the old one. My question- what is the "canvas". how thick, what is it made of, how is it wrapped, what dose it look like , and so on. The KRW catalogue clearly shows the cover being put on, which is a bonus. There is only small scr*ps of the original canvas, which isn't much help. The rear spring must have been changed at one time as there is no cover or reminants at all. That will be the next task.
I have heard mention on this forum of NOS springs, so I thought someone may be able to guide me.

kubes40    -- 05-14-2014 @ 5:14 AM
  The cloth within the covers was nothing more than "duck cloth", a canvas like material available at any good fabric store. It was tan in color. At both ends a heavy wool "pad" was sewn. The pad was about 3/16" thick and perhaps 3/4" wide.
I might suggest you contact Dan Schwartz in California for the covers. He reproduces them, sells them at a reasonable price and I promise you, they are stunning!
I have replaced many covers and advise you that you MUST have the spring flat to do a proper installation.
The photo attached is just one example I had dome for a client utilizing Dan's covers.

avrotom    -- 05-14-2014 @ 8:06 AM
  Thanks Kubes, that helps. Could you resend the picture, all I can see is a bit of one end of the spring.

kubes40    -- 05-14-2014 @ 10:43 AM
  If I may have your email address, I'll send you a picture. I can't seem to make it any better to post here.
Mike

avrotom    -- 05-14-2014 @ 8:52 PM
  Mike, my email is tmarine@sympatico.ca
I appreciate the help.
In the picture that I did see, it would appear that the "segments" of the cover are longer than the ones I have. On each side of the center bolt the covers have 5 "segments" I can send some pics also.

avrotom    -- 05-14-2014 @ 8:53 PM
  I also listened to your advise, and am sourcing some NOS springs

kubes40    -- 05-15-2014 @ 7:39 AM
  I always use NOS springs in my restorations. It is amazing how much nicer the car appears when sitting at the designed height. Also, new springs (along with other chassis rebuilding) brings back the correct driving / handling characteristics.
I replace the covers on NOS springs as they are typically dented. Plus, I like to powder finish each leaf and reassemble with proper lubricant between each leaf. The old lubricant in NOS springs has degraded to pretty much "hard "mud" at this point in time.

I'll get the photo(s) I have sent to your address promptly.
Kind regards,
Mike Kubarth

fordor    -- 10-09-2014 @ 7:00 AM
  Do you have a phone # or e-mail address for Dan Schwartz to get my springs recovered properly??

Bob L.

trjford8    -- 10-09-2014 @ 5:48 PM
  Dan is listed in the V-8 Club roster. He lives in Fair Oaks, California. I don't normally post someone's phone number on the web unless they have a business.

kubes40    -- 10-10-2014 @ 5:54 AM
  BobL., Dan sells the covers but I don't believe he installs them. However, as a possible alternative, I do.
I have the fixtures required to do so properly. As many realize the spring must be FLAT in order to install the covers. Here's a photo of one spring I had done for a fellow club member.
i do crate them well prior to shipping to avoid any possible damage in transit.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7320