Topic: 40 Ford Shocks

ronnie    -- 03-09-2014 @ 5:46 PM
  the front shocks on my 40 Tudor standard have been rebuilt at some time. The arms on my shocks have F-924 on them with no boss.The number on the shocks themselves are P-1647A on one side and "B" on the other side shock. I have some extra shocks that are bad,that have the same numbers as the good shocks but the arms have F-837 with Ford script and 10 on the boss. My question is can the arms be taking off the bad shocks and put on the good shocks and they be correct for 1940 ford?

Thanks very much,
Ronnie

supereal    -- 03-09-2014 @ 8:51 PM
  Most old lever shocks require rebuilding to be effective and safe. We send them to Apple Hydraulics. You can find them online. It isn't cheap, bit they work and increase the ride comfort and handling.

ronnie    -- 03-10-2014 @ 1:13 AM
  Thanks for the reply supernal,

I will get in touch with them.
Thanks,
Ronnie

40 Coupe    -- 03-10-2014 @ 3:47 AM
  I like to use:
Bill Wzorek in Mass. WPWZ@COMCAST.NET
for shock repair. The 40 shock used a slightly smaller diameter body than the 41-8 shock. The arms you want to move sound to be correct for the 40, is the body diameter the same as the shocks you want to move the arms onto? Do both sets of shocks have the same appearance? 38-9 some of the shocks used a different seal and have a different appearance. If both sets are the same the arms can be moved and you will have good correct shocks.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 3-10-14 @ 3:52 AM

ronnie    -- 03-10-2014 @ 5:35 AM
  Thanks 40 Coupe,

Both sets of shocks are the same,with the same numbers on shock body. they have different arms on them.I didn't know if the arms would come off and interchange .
Thanks for the information
Ronnie

kubes40    -- 03-10-2014 @ 6:22 AM
  I used Apple once, a number of years ago. They RUINED a set of concourse correct 39 shocks. Yes, ruined.
After that bad experience, I have used Bill Wzorek's service a number of times. His workmanship is second to none.
The correct '40 shocks have a body diameter of about 2 7/8". later replacement shocks were about 3 1/4".
The front arms should have the Ford script, the number F-837 and the number 10 (on a boss).
There are six "lugs" on the packing.
Hope this helps...
Mike Kubarth

ronnie    -- 03-10-2014 @ 2:11 PM
  That helps a lot,the information and picture.

thanks Mike,
Ronnie

kenburke    -- 04-06-2014 @ 11:19 AM
  I would like to swap an arm on a rear shock. I can see the press on aspect of it. The adjustment needle and associated locking nuts appear to make it difficult to remove the arm without messing something up. Repeat Question: Short of a complete disassembly can I remove one arm for another? And if so, how does or does one have to remove those items hindering the arm removal? I have the correct 40 shocks with the F-745 arm. Thanks

40 Coupe    -- 04-07-2014 @ 3:33 AM

I believe your going to need special equipment to grab the arm and press on the shaft to remove the arm. I suggest you contact Bill see above for his contact info. The cast iron cover under the arm can crack and break. Bill has the special equipment.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7108