Topic: 40 hood supports

wmgmitchell    -- 12-08-2013 @ 4:14 PM
  The hood on my 40 is slightly out of alignment and I believe the problem may lie with the loose pivot points on the left hinge. I'm buying some NOS hinges, but the pivot points on the hood supports are also loose. I put Vintique supports in place of the originals and they work well, but they're they're made of much lighter gauge steel than the originals and they just don't look as substantial as the originals.

Drake advertises supports that he says are identical to originals with bronze bushings at the pivot points. Should I buy Drake's supports or can I replace the rivets in mine, which, as far as I can tell, are otherwise good?

Bill

kubes40    -- 12-09-2013 @ 5:18 AM
  I am happy to hear you've found NOS hinges. The repops are not of good quality.
The Drake supports of old are "okay". Not certain about his "new - improved" design nor the reason he felt it necessary to redesign a part that Ford had designed and built to work well for MANY years of service.
Regardless, I have had the best of luck repairing my Ford supports. They have always fit better and allowed the hood to be aligned easier than the repops.

supereal    -- 12-09-2013 @ 9:53 AM
  We have used Drake's hood and trunk lid supports, and found them to be OK. As with all things Drake, the real challenge to find them in stock. You will probably have better luck with C&G (800/266-0470). Ask for part number 91A-16802/3. $55/pair. Be sure that the special shoulder bolts are not worn. They are 20308-S2, $6 pair. Hood supports are tricky, as the geometry amplifies any looseness in the pivots.

syed20    -- 10-24-2014 @ 12:03 AM
  tab to the bare metal surface of the mounting hole, then it is an internal switch problem. If not, then the problem will be between the wire that grounds the starter solenoid or the solenoid itself. You can check the solenoid by simply grounding the

Get free demos for 70-480 latest exam dumps exam and PMI exam with 100% guaranteed success.

This message was edited by syed20 on 11-17-14 @ 4:30 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6798