Topic: 2DR SEDAN REAR WINDOWS

ivfd4    -- 03-30-2012 @ 1:01 PM
  What is the easiest way to remove the rear (quarter) windows on a 40 2dr sedan. My regulators are almost frozen and everything seems jammed up. I took out the 4 screws but I cant get the window/reg assy to drop down. It doesn't seem there is enough room to pull it out the bottom. Thanks in advance for any advice. SORRY, I JUST REALIZED THIS SHOULD BE IN GENERAL DISCUSSION

This message was edited by ivfd4 on 3-30-12 @ 1:09 PM

trjford8    -- 03-30-2012 @ 6:00 PM
  Roll the window up and then remove the screws that hold the regulator. I don't recall if it's 4 screws or 6. Then push inward on the shaft of the regulator to get it to clear the metal partition. Then lower the regulator and the glass as a unit. Once you see the regulaor and arms you slide the regulator off the window track and remove it out of the way. Tilt one end of the glass upward and then remove the glass through the top opening. I am assuming here that you have removed the garnish moulding.

TomO    -- 03-31-2012 @ 9:23 AM
  Most of the time the shaft for the crank is the part that freezes up. Try penetrating oil around the shaft to make it easier to wind the window up so you can remove the regulator from the panel.

Tom

Chris in MA    -- 03-31-2012 @ 2:56 PM
  Remove the stop screw on the front of the window track, with the regulator attached, roll the window up and the front track will pop off. Roll it down, hold the window at the top just before it stops, keep rolling and the regulator and the rear arm will come off the track. You will have to wiggle the window a bit during this.

Once the glass is free of the arms, remove glass as trj said. Then remove the 6 regulator screws, drop the regulator out through the bottom opening.

Going through this now, getting the glass back in is the real fun part...

Chris

It worked before I fixed it...

kenburke    -- 04-09-2012 @ 2:10 PM
  Same item, different Q? Do both windows function the same, i.e. roll back a little and also roll down. My driver side window just rolls down. Thanks

kubes40    -- 04-09-2012 @ 2:15 PM
  Ken, Your rear windows should (both) roll down and rearwards.

ivfd4    -- 04-20-2012 @ 1:58 PM
  Thanks, guys for all the advice. I got them out yesterday. It was a ton of work that consisted of me outside the car holding the window and a friend inside lubing and working the regulators. The tracks were really full of gunk at each end and the rollers were completely gone. No room to work up inside the 1/4 panel. It took over 2 hours to do it. My friend is a mechanic at a Ford dealer and he fought it the whole time.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4507