Topic: Generator Production Numbers

kenburke    -- 03-15-2012 @ 7:20 PM
  Hi mike, the "U" is for 40's, the trailing # is for a month. the production run did not start in Jan 1940. So,when would a U1, U3 or U6 been installed on to a car at the factory? Would "T"s show up at the begining?
My Vin is a 185339***. Thanks

kubes40    -- 03-16-2012 @ 5:33 AM
  Hi Ken, It is difficult (impossible) to say for certain when a certain month's generator would have been installed on any particular car.
I would have to believe some "T" models ('39) were installed on '40 Fords.
You know that it would have depended on when, how many, how quick the consumption was at each assembly plant.
Obviously you would have to have a generator on your car produced prior to your car being assembled (or the same month). But that leads to the question of exactly when was your car produced. that's something we can only "guesstimate".

kenburke    -- 03-16-2012 @ 10:30 AM
  Hi Mike, Knowing there is no exact date in mind and since we are in guessomatic mode, if you were seeking an appropriate generator for a car coming out of a factory in, say, December, what generator would you be most comfortable with or seeking? This could be a range as well. Ken

kubes40    -- 03-16-2012 @ 12:30 PM
  Hi Ken, If you are comfortable believing your car was assembled in December, 1939, it must have a "T" stamped generator, most likely October through December.
I wish I could narrow these types of things down better but I am unaware of any way to pinpoint when parts were delivered to any particular assembly plant and then, how long they sat in inventory prior to being installed upon a "new" 1940 ford. I suspect these types of things we will never be able to narrow down much more than a month or two. In some cases., longer.

kenburke    -- 03-16-2012 @ 3:59 PM
  Hi Mike, Really good to know info. Since my Vin would be probably at the end of the 1st third of all numbers, I will pretend a 01/1940 production month. I have no documents on the car as to the original owner period. This will also help me to pin down the window bugs as well. Thanks Again, Ken

kubes40    -- 03-16-2012 @ 5:10 PM
  Ken, I wish I could be more definitive. Not being able to bothers me especially with guys like yourself that are doing your absolute best to make things "right".
Sorry...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4461