Topic: '40 Philco radio face plate

kubes40    -- 03-07-2012 @ 5:02 PM
  Does anyone know where to obtain a CORRECT face plate for a 1940 Ford Philco radio?
this would be the one with the blue stripes. NOT the chrome bar.
A used one would be good... any help? Please

TomO    -- 03-09-2012 @ 8:21 AM
  Mike, I thought that the grey cover with the blue stripes was for the Mercury radio. Dennis Carpenter used to sell the grey cover for the Zenith radio as a Mercury part.

Tom

kubes40    -- 03-09-2012 @ 9:49 AM
  Hi Tom,
As far as my research has led me, it appears all Philco radios came with the blue striped face plate and all Zenith radios came with the chrome bar type. I have yet to find a thing that would suggest the Mercury received a different face plate than a Ford. Rather, what I did find was each radio was supplied to Ford Motor Co. respective of the manufacturers design.
I can't say whether or not Ford INTENDED for Mercury's to receive the Philco and Fords to receive the Zenith. I can say from experience, I have had many Fords with Philco radios that appeared to be factory installed.

TomO    -- 03-11-2012 @ 10:41 AM
  Mike, you are correct, the radio for the Ford and the Mercury appear to be the same. I guess that I just propagated an error that occurred back in the last century when Dennis Carpenter started to reproduce the face plates. You can see if he has any of the face plates left.

The accessory catalog just shows the one radio, without the chrome bar. The face plate appears to be tan, although that is just a guess based on other colors in the grayscale drawing. I do not know if this is a Philco or Zenith radio.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 3-11-12 @ 10:48 AM

kubes40    -- 03-11-2012 @ 12:12 PM
  TomO... private message sent...

kenburke    -- 03-19-2012 @ 1:44 PM
  Hi Mike, This a non answer to your Q. But, since Carpenter is the main plastic guru, its him or him, I add the following. Their covers for the Philco & Zenith radios are exactly the same, other than the part numbers on the package are different. They do sell RB-40, Owner's Manual which is for the Philco F-1740 model. It shows the correct cover. So maybe someone in the hierarchy of the club could point this out to them. I can only guess they already know. Ken

kubes40    -- 03-19-2012 @ 3:59 PM
  Hi Ken, I am not certain when they got away from making the proper Philco cover. It had to be better than 30 years ago.
I did try to find one in their "old stock" but came up empty.
The search continues...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4426