Topic: 99A 5261 tail pipe hanger

deuce_roadster    -- 01-28-2011 @ 8:58 AM
  My Chassis Parts and Price list dated May 1 1940 (yellowish cover)shows this hanger but I can't tell in the picture if the rubber is sheilded with metal or not. I have seen both version of these and wonder which one is concourse correct or perhaps maybe both are due to build date. I have an early V8 coupe, mid year 40 convertible and a very late Deluxe wagon. Thanks in advance

kubes40    -- 01-28-2011 @ 9:54 AM
  Hi Deuce,
Regardless of manufacture date there was but one hanger for '40 passenger cars. It is NOT wrapped in metal as the old 40 restoration book eludes to. The metal wrapped hangers were after-market and offered by numerous suppliers (Coast to Coast, Whitney, Wholhert, etc.) but NOT Ford.
The correct hanger looks nearly identical to the muffler support / clamp. The difference is in the length of the mast.
As a 'side note' the muffler support / clamp currently offered by most of the repro places is actually 1941 and later. That one appears rectangular. Having an 11A prefix should tell those suppliers it isn't correct for pre '41 but I digress
I have attached a photo of the correct pieces.
Regards,
Mike Kubarth

deuce_roadster    -- 01-28-2011 @ 2:10 PM
  Mike, I figured that would be an easy question for someone with your knowledge! While I am qualified to and have judged 32,33 and 34s at National Meets, I lack a lot when it comes to my 40s. I would love to be a novice judge under you at a National Meet. I have found that is an excellent way to learn what is correct and what is not. Will you be judging anytime soon?
It might be an interesting format for a book, judging a car from stem to stern with pictures of the common mistakes and what is correct.

Looking forward to the new 40 book whenever it is done. I can imagine it is a mammoth project, but I feel good about knowing someone of your calibre is at the helm.
Thanks again

kubes40    -- 01-28-2011 @ 5:39 PM
  Hey Deuce,
Thanks for the very kind words. Although undeserved, I appreciate the sentiment very much.
You and I apparently have a lot in common! I recently purchased a 34 coupe that has been in the same (dry) parked spot since 1949. While a very nice & unmolested car, I know so very little about it.
Maybe we can trade knowledge bases? Hmmm? It seems to me that 34's are much more difficult to research
than 40's. I read and read and read. Still... I am at the very beginning of the requisite learning curve.
I will no doubt judge at the NY meet in July and at the Indiana meet in August. It would great to have you as part of the team. I like for the entire team to operate as just that - a team. We can all learn from one another.
RE: the book: While I am attempting to offer a ton of detail in the new 40 book in all areas, I am attempting to go into especially great detail in areas I know many folks make the most common mistakes during their restorations.
My best regards to you...
Mike

kenburke    -- 02-06-2011 @ 11:52 AM
  Hi Mike,

Would you paint or powder coat the hangers? Thanks Ken

kubes40    -- 02-06-2011 @ 1:00 PM
  Hey Ken, It's been a while. I hope you are well.
I powder finish my exhaust systems. I am certain paint would be just fine as well.
Take care!
Mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2506