Topic: 1940 convertible heater switch dash location

Pair of 40's    -- 08-23-2016 @ 8:36 AM
  I'm looking for the correct heater fan switch and its correct mounting location for my 40 convertibe.
Thanks

kubes40    -- 08-23-2016 @ 12:25 PM
  Correct switches are very difficult to locate. Be careful of all the ones offered as 'correct" as few, if any on a given day, are actually correct. The correct switch utilizes screw type terminals. If the switch has solder type spade terminals - that's a huge clue it is incorrect.
Also be aware that there was a dedicated switch for the hot water heater and another dedicated to the hot air heater - each quite different from one another.
The switch mounts just right of the steering column on the lower edge of the instrument panel. If you look under there, you will note a large diameter hole (about 5/8") surround by two small diameter holes - one on each side of the large one (about 3/16").

Hope this helps,

Mike Kubarth

Pair of 40's    -- 08-23-2016 @ 5:20 PM
  Mike thanks, I have seen different switches offered for sale. I'm a bit confused on the two you mention, are there two switches or was one for the defrost -air? I have the same heater in my 40 pickup and it has one switch that is for the fan motor. Thanks Russ

kubes40    -- 08-23-2016 @ 6:46 PM
  Russ,
The switch in the pickup is identical to the passenger car. However, the hot water heater in a pickup is different than a car.

The "basic" difference between the hot water heater switch and the hot air heater switch are the number of terminals. The hot water heater switch has four, the hot air heater just two.
The knobs are also different of course.

TomO    -- 08-24-2016 @ 7:54 AM
  In the past 40 years of attending swap meets, I have found 1 - 1940 hot water heater switch, 3 - 1939 hot water heater switches, 2 - 1941 / 1942 hot water heater switches and many 1946 - 1948 switches. I found my 1940 switch at Turlock, CA.

You can try to reach Larry Caplan and see if he has a solution to your problem. Go to Ebay and search for 40larry or look in the roster for him in CA

Tom

Pair of 40's    -- 08-24-2016 @ 7:54 AM
  Again thanks for the info. I must be missing something, I have had both heaters out of the vehicals and they appeared to be the same both are hot water with a fan motor. I'll keep searching for the correct switches for the 40 convertible. Russ

kubes40    -- 08-24-2016 @ 11:53 AM
  It is very possible, even likely, that a passenger car heater was installed in your pickup truck. The pickup heater at first glance appears identical to the car heater.
The cores are the main difference - a necessity created by the vastly different firewalls. Subsequently the inlet and outlet nipples are in much different places than the car heater.

Pair of 40's    -- 08-24-2016 @ 8:28 PM
  Thanks

TomO    -- 08-25-2016 @ 7:40 AM
  The mounting bracket for the truck has the horizontal bar in a different place than the passenger car. I have seen the passenger heater installed in a truck, it sits a little off center.

Tom

kubes40    -- 08-26-2016 @ 6:40 AM
  Russ, Attached is a photo of the back of both the passenger car heater (left) and the pickup truck heater (right). Pay special attention to where the three mounting studs are as well as the two heater core tubes. As I'd posted previously, they are by necessity, in vastly different places to accommodate (properly) the vastly different firewalls.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10012